…but I’ve actually finished the Birds in Flight quilt! I made the binding for it last weekend, and then took advantage of the fact that I have a cold and it was raining yesterday to spend the day doing as little as possible other than sitting watching videos while hand-stitching the binding down (yes, I’m a glutton for punishment, but it looks so much better when it’s hand sewn compared to just top-stitching it).
Other than the fact that I really should have added an extra strip of background fabric around the edges so that the birds aren’t so close to the binding, I’m really happy with how it turned out. I had a few doubts about my choice to use a scrappy binding while I was sewing it on, but now that I see it as a whole I like it again. And I’m really pleased with how the quilting looks, especially the contrast between the background and the birds.
I love the way the quilting around the birds makes them show up on the back, too:
And talking of the back, here’s the full effect of the rainbow stripe (which, yes, is a bit askew. It wasn’t supposed to be, and I thought I’d lined everything up correctly when I basted the quilt, but obviously not…)
Other than the slight slant, the back turned out exactly as I’d hoped. In fact, I think I almost like it more than the front.
Just as I was finishing taking the photos, the sun finally came out, so here’s a couple of shots to show off how bright those colours look:
Not bad for three year’s and two month’s work (I checked, and I started it in January 2015).
And finally, just for the pretty, an artistic-type shot of the back: