While scooping dog poop from the back yard yesterday, I came upon a lovely little stand of mushrooms under the sugar maple tree.
They were putting on quite the show.
I didn’t pick them until this morning, because our neighborhood mushroom expert was in the house for tea and it seemed the right time to haul them in and put them to the test.
Here you have, [in our considered opinion] the Agaricus Californicus…
Under “edibility” in the mushroom book it says….”Poisonous to many people, causing stomach distress, vomiting, etc. It’s difficult to imagine a more delicious looking mushroom, but it has an unpleasant astringent metallic taste, even when cooked.”
It is in the same family as the button mushroom we find in the grocery store. But sadly, we won’t be getting any free food out of these. BUT they are going in my mushroom journal because they have been found and identified. And just in case you are wondering, it SMELLS just like the ones from the store.
I’m finding out that mushrooms hold their cards close to their gills, and don’t give up their secrets easily. But I’m very eager to learn mushroom language.
(You barely know the English language.)
I know enough to be able to tell you to shut y’er trap.
(I don’t think an apostrophe is necessary in “yer”.)
I don’t think a parenthesis is necessary in this entry either.
Over and out.